[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV 1250 not working

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 04:56:49 UTC 2008

Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On Friday 31 October 2008, Paulin wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> Well I got my myth box up and working (mostly).  I can't seem to get the
>> Hauppauge WinTV 1250 card working.  I don't get a picture/signal.
>>
>> I have Comcast and I believe I should be getting a digital signal (basic
>> cable service only and no box).
>
>>From what I understand, regular cable with no box is pure analog, you get no
> access to the digital content at all (if you're not paying for digital cable,
> they are likely to have it filtered out)

Not comcast. All the signals come down the line all at once. All you
need the box for is to decrypt the encrypted digital channels you're
paying for. The national networks which you would normally get OTA will
come through the wire with comcast with no box needed to decode. It's
called clear QAM, and the 1250 supports it.

> So what you need to try is to connect to the analog tuner if the 1250 has one,
> and hopefully the drivers for the 1250 fully support analog (I hear some of
> the HVRs have issues with analog)

So just plug the cable directly from the wall into the 1250 and go into
the channel scanner in mythtv-serup. Choose to scan for channels, and
choose QAM-256, and scan all frequencies (don't just choose "high" or
"low"). I'm using 0.21-fixes and scanning works fine on the 1250 in myth
for me. I have a dual core machine and haven't noticed any issues with
the scanner not liking dual cores, but ymmv. Don't bother with the
analog part of the 1250; it doesn't work in Linux yet (as of a few
months ago - I haven't checked again lately).

Raphael