[mythtv-users] USB S/PDIF adapters

Matt Hakim thepigs at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 21:42:58 UTC 2008

> IMHO, building your own is much more hassle than it's worth, unless you just
> enjoy that sort of thing.

If you have an old dvd lying around you can rip the optical out out of
it. it's hard to desolder though. I soldered some fairly long wires
(put the capacitor close to the LED) and hung it out the back of the
case.

The other thing is you can't control the AC3 output volume via mythtv
so you need an extra remote, which in the end annoyed me more than not
having AC3 output.

Come to think of it it would be good if myth had some option to
selectively choose AC3 output for some sources. eg. DVD but not TV.