[mythtv-users] Copy-protected OTA DTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 1 14:32:28 UTC 2008

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> Geoffrey Leach wrote:
>> Some months back I owned a Toshiba  DVR660 (since returned). It
>> featured an ATSC tuner which I intended to use for recording OTA
>> broadcasts to DVD. However, I soon discovered that the DVR660 would not
>> record
>> to DVD, citing a 'copy protected' flag in the broadcast stream.
>>
>> I'm now in the process of putting together my own MythTV system, and
>> would like to avoid a similar problem. It seems to me that MythTV
>> should not be encumbered by this, but who knows?
>>
>> Can anyone point me to a discussion of the issues involved?
>>
>> Thanks.

> The 'copy protection' only works with a compliant device.  Any
> non-compliant recorder can simply ignore the flag and proceed to record
> the show unencumbered.  AFAIK, Vista MCE is the only PC based recorder
> that actually supports this restriction.

This is the "Broadcast Flag" that was shot down by the Congress.
Hollywood is trying to get what they could not get by legal means by
using a "back door", probably threatening companies like MS by
threatening to withhold their precious "content" from them.

They will keep trying, and some companies will comply, but I'd gues it
will show up on the Congressional floor again.

beww