[mythtv-users] Why aren't my shows auto-transcoding?

William william_munson at comcast.net
Sat May 31 12:54:22 UTC 2008

Matt Emmott wrote:
> I've tried setting some of my SD shows recorded via my PVR-250 to
> transcode after recording, but for some reason they aren't being
> transcoded - I look in my recordings and a half hour show is still
> around 1.09GB. I can manually transcode a recording by selecting a
> recording, going to info - Job Options - Begin Transcoding - <Low or
> medium> quality. The show will then show up in jobs and when all is
> said and done transcode down to about 290MB on medium quality.
>
> To confirm that a show is set to auto-transcode I go to Manage
> Recordings - Upcoming Recordings - Show Name - Info - Post Recording
> Processing and it's set to "transcode new recordings" and "Transcode
> using 'Low Quality' (The same setting I used when I manually tested a
> transcode)
>
> I searched through a few of my mythbackend logs for anything
> mentioning transcoding and came up blank. Is there a global setting
> that I need to set that I'm just missing? Or something else I should
> be looking for?

Its been a while since I did this however I remember there were two
different places I had to enable transcoding. One in the recording
profile section (create a new profile with your settings) and one in
mythtv-setup. I cannot remember if there was an additional step other
than enabling auto-transcode for that recording by selecting the correct
profile when setting up your schedule.

Of course this may not help as it sounds like you already have
everything setup to be able to do manual started transcodes. I also
remember having to create the recording schedule with the right profile
as changing the profile on an existing schedule did not work.

William