[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX for mythtv front+backend (newbie)

James Stembridge jstembridge at gmail.com
Fri May 30 11:07:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Chris Rouch <chris.rouch at gmail.com> wrote:
> My experience is completely different. I have an M10K running
> diskless, with the whiny cpu fan replaced by a heatsink and the case
> fan turned right down. To my ears it's silent. I've had Fedora 4, 6
> and 8 with mythtv up to 0.20 running flawlessly on it. 0.21 crashed
> after viewing recordings, so I've switched to minimyth, again without
> problems. I wouldn't want to use it for HD, and couldn't use it as a
> BE, but as a small, silent FE it works well.

Agreed, until it recently died (bad caps I think) I had an m10k
running smoothly for about 4 years.

That said I've replaced it with an intel mini-itx board. With a cheap
pentium-m from ebay this is quiet, power efficient and significantly
faster than any of the epia boards currently available. Plus you can
depend on all the onboard stuff just working which isn't always the
case with the via devices, though support has continued to improve
over time.