[mythtv-users] The HDTV Olympics Thread {RE: things missing from OTA HDTV, firewire, comcast, etc etc}

Robert Jones kaosfere at gmail.com
Thu May 29 20:11:42 UTC 2008

> So, what's the current recommendation for HDTV recorded access to
> those two channels? Anyone doing firewire-HD? Am I going to have to
> put up with the craptastic HD-PVR for a couple months? I have several
> QAM64/256 tuners, but I suspect even with a full-blown-subscription,
> those two channels will still be fully encrypted.

This would, of course, depend upon your location.  However, I have
recently set up my BE (running Heron with mythbuntu and medibuntu
packages overlaid, FWIW) to record from Comcast's STB via firewire.
It works without a hitch...  as long as you don't try to tune any
encrypted channels.  (Should you happen to do so, there's a 33% chance
the BE will hang and need to be manually restarted).  Where I am
(Chicagoland), Comcast encrypts just about all the basic and digital
cable channels, but, perversely, *doesn't* do it to most HD channels.
I know for a fact I can get UHD and USAHD right off the wire.

Sadly, History HD is encrypted for me. :(

--
You have been eaten by a grue.