[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX for mythtv front+backend (newbie)

Ceri Coburn ceri.coburn at googlemail.com
Thu May 29 14:56:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Wouter van Atteveldt <wouter at 2at.nl> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am a MythTV newbie looking to buy hardware for a first-time installation. I want to place the computer in the living room in a relatively shallow bookcase, so I am considering a case for a mini itx board. I will be using it for recording and playing from analog cable of moderate quality, and may move to digital as soon as our local cable provider (UPC) gets its act together; I will also use it to play DVDs and MP3/FLAC audio.
>
> Since I have a HDMI TV and a stereo with S/PDIF input, and I want the machine to be as silent as possible, the VIA EPIA EX seemed a sensible choice (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=450). A (non-exhaustive) search on the internet and the archive of this mailing list indicated that people have used VIA EPIA mainboards for mythtv, but there seem to be some driver issues.
>
> If I understand things correctly, the modest CPU power of the EPIA should be compensated by the onboard MPEG decoder, >but I guess this is only relevant if the linux drivers can actually use this decoder?
>
> My question is: Would this be a sensible choice for a first time install with the parameters given above? Do people have experience with this mainboard? Can I expect driver issues with the components on the mainboard?

Do you want HDTV decoding also?  As far as I know there is no support
for AVC/H.264 hardware decoding with most graphics adapters out there.
 Some of the propriotary closed source drivers do have MPEG 2
acceleration though.  If you want H.264 decoding, you can forget using
an EPIA based PC as it won't have enough clout to decode H.264 in
software.  I think the VIA Unichrome drivers do have H.264 decoding,
but as far as I know it's extremely buggy and you have to run as root
or something similar last time I checked.

Depending on how small you actually want to go will depend on my next
suggestion, but you can check out the TF5 case by Omaura.  I am
documenting a new HTPC build with it at http://www.mediaboxblog.co.uk.
 It has a Micro ATX motherboard in it and will be running from a 160W
DC-DC power suppply, so heat is a little less of a problem, and
because it's a mATX board you can put a processor in it that will have
enough horsepower for HDTV streams.  The case is only 6.9cm tall
(including feet) and around 5cm tall without.

> (A secondary question: I have a Pinnacle        PCTV 110i from a previous experiment; would you advise keeping that or buying a newer card, eg a Hauppauge pvr350 or 500)

Personally I would stick with the Pinnacle until you provider switches
to digital, then get a new DVB-C card when they do the switch.