[mythtv-users] I quit -- unless I can get some help!

The GUIGuy linux at finalfiler.com
Thu May 29 11:34:02 UTC 2008

Ismo Tanskanen wrote:

> 3 - This is very common problem. This is how I worked it out (I don't
> know if you even have alsa sound system but anyway):
> * run amixer in terminal. It shows you available mixer controls. Locate
> mixer that handles spdif out for example "IEC958"
> * goto general settings and set passthrough output device manually same
> for example "IEC958" and enable ac3 and dts passthrough.
> * There is lot of articles how to get it working, if this will not help.

Allen,
Agree that making sure IEc958 is enabled seems to be part of the trick.

Nevertheless, SPDIF seems a real  hit and miss lottery. My own
experience is that it works fine one moment and on the next reboot, nix,
nada, nothing. Open Utilities/ Settings, go to the sound page, do
nothing but save and bingo, the beast is off again. In my experience the
issue is with MythTV because other sound apps are fine, even when MythTV
has gone quiet.

Also agree with the other poster that you should go to the pub or
something and relax. Get drunk, come home, and THEN start again :-D
PS: I'm kidding.

Cheers