[mythtv-users] The HDTV Olympics Thread {RE: things missing from OTA HDTV, firewire, comcast, etc etc}

William william_munson at comcast.net
Wed May 28 00:35:01 UTC 2008

Blammo wrote:
> I'd like to keep the signals coming into the Myth cluster, since I
> have more than enough drive space to cover what we'll need, she's
> familar with the interface, etc.
>
> So, what's the current recommendation for HDTV recorded access to
> those two channels? Anyone doing firewire-HD? Am I going to have to
> put up with the craptastic HD-PVR for a couple months? I have several
> QAM64/256 tuners, but I suspect even with a full-blown-subscription,
> those two channels will still be fully encrypted.
>
> thanks in advance for any help/advice.
>
> thoughts?

I am currently recording UHD via firewire using a comcast STB. I get
about a dozen channels that can be recorded via firewire. The STB is a
bit unusual as its their DVR model with the dvr feature turned off. They
ran out of the normal model with firewire and upgraded me. It works just
fine with the standard scripts although it does suffer from the same
occasional loss of connectivity that others have reported. I have yet to
find a way to make it 100% reliable.

BTW - When I set up my system a few months ago the Fedora based distros
were not compatible with the firewire stack requirements for talking to
a STB.  I ended up using Ubuntu which worked out of the box. Your milage
may vary.

Good luck, at least you have time to work out the bugs.
William