[mythtv-users] 1080 content scaling problems

EJS ejshoor at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 21:33:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

After about 3 years I've decided to upgrade my myth
box to support HD via a new HD5500. I've finally
gotten XvMC working, but my latest problem is all of
the 1080 OTA content is not being scaled to fit the
screen. The other resolutions to scale fine, but on
1080, I see big black boxes on the top and bottom and
left and right sides. I am using the composite out on
my FX5200 to drive a very old 4:3 TV (10+ years). I
have been poking around with different configurations
for about a week without any luck. I did notice that I
can go through the menu and choose Video Fill-> Full
to manually rescale the video per channel, but can't
this be done via a configuration setting?

Should I need to create a special Modeline for a
standard TV?

Is it possible to set different overscan settings per
content resolution?

I'd really appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,

Here is a copy of the relevant parts of my xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Unknown monitor"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 37.9
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 70.0
        Option      "dpms" "false"
# For 1024x768 at 100dpi  (4:3)
     DisplaySize  260   195
EndSection

Section "Device"

Section "Device"

#       VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
#       BoardName   "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce
FX 5200]"
#       Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "NoLogo" "true"
        Option      "UseEvents" "true"
        Option      "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"  #
necessary for color Chromakey OSD)
        Option      "NVAGP" "1"                 # some
users report 2 or 3 works better
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        Option      "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
        SubSection "Display"

                #Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
                #Modes    "640x480"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes     "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"

                #Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Disabled"
EndSection

Here are specifics of my configuration.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (cpu MHz: 2405.525)
Asus FX5200 AGP 8x 128Mg (350.0 MHz maximum pixel
clock)
NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  100.14.19
Fedora 8 ( 2.6.24.4-64.fc8)
MythTV Version   : 17023
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Options compiled in:
 linux debug using_oss using_alsa using_arts
using_backend using_dbox2 using_dvb using_frontend
using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv
using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_v4l using_x11
using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw
using_xvmc_vld using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_ffmpeg_threads using_live
All driving an old 36" Zenith tv.