[mythtv-users] remote frontend, MasterServerIP

James Cummings james+mythtv at cummingsfamily.org.uk
Tue May 27 11:13:31 UTC 2008

I have a combined master backend / frontend on one machine and I am
trying to set up a remote frontend.

I've changed mysql.txt on the remote frontend to point to 192.168.0.35
(the LAN IP of master backend).  The remote frontend gets things like
server info, so I can tell it is connecting.  But it wasn't getting
lists of recorded programs.  So... I changed 'MasterServerIP' for all
hosts in mythweb from '127.0.0.1' to '192.168.0.35' and bingo, the
remote frontend could see the programs.

Problem is... suddenly the master backend doesn't list any of the
upcoming recordings I had scheduled previously when the combined
frontend/backend was set to localhost (127.0.0.1).  I don't want to
re-do all my recording rules, nor turn my master backend into a slave
backend. (This is what the logs said happened when I changed
MasterServerIP to 192.168.0.35)   I had a brainwave in that I thought
maybe if I changed MasterServerIP not to an IP but a hostname alias
say 'mythtv' and then had that in /etc/hosts as 127.0.0.1 on the
master backend machine but 192.168.0.35 on the remote frontend that it
might work. Sadly, not so.  Buggers it up for both of them.  So I set
it back to 127.0.0.1.  This is using up-to-date ubuntu 8.04, btw.

Everything on the remote frontend points to 192.168.0.35 everything on
the master backend points to 127.0.0.1 ... is there a way to do this
without a) losing current rules or b) making the backend mistakenly
feel it is a slave?

thanks for any suggestions

-James