[mythtv-users] Changing default time stretch

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue May 27 00:17:17 UTC 2008

David Engel wrote:

> Now what to to do if you don't like that arbirarily chosen default of
> 1.5?  Currently, all you can do is change the source code and
> recompile yourself.  I have a TODO item to allow going directly to any
> arbitrary speed.  With this for example, you could press "1 3 3
> ADJUSTSTRETCH" to go straight to 1.33 speed.  That might be
> sufficient.  Finally, we could possibly make the timestretch setting
> for the Default group be special in that it would only set the last,
> non-1.0 speed instead of the inital speed.  Please note the full
> implication of that last possibility have not been thought through.

We like to watch most shows at 1.1x speed, so I've got timestretch in the
Default playback group set to 1.1x.  This means there's no need to change
playback group to something other than Default when scheduling a new
recording.  AFAICS, one implication of treating the timestretch in the
Default playback group as you suggest would be that I'd have change the
playback group for every recording to some new playback group.

How about instead having the TOGGLESTRETCH command switch between the current
setting and whatever is specified in a new special "Toggle" playback group?
Then the OP could have what he wants just by editing the Toggle playback
group, while I'd still have what I want.  In fact, I might set the Toggle
playgroup timestretch to 1.0x so I could toggle to normal speed for music and
really fast talkers.

--
Peter Schachte              The greater part of our happiness depends on our
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        dispositions and not on our circumstances.