[mythtv-users] F7 to F8 or F7 to F9

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 20:58:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I heard so much negative stuff about F8 and it's audio setup that i decided
> to stay at F7 level.  ( I learned the hard way to not trouble trouble until
> trouble troubles me
> regarding my MythTv setup. ). With F7 reaching EOL, I wonder if it is ok to
> go into the newly released F9 or should I take my chances with F8?
>
> Is mythtv working fine under F9?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> ------------------------------
> /\_/\
> |O O| pepebuho at pananet.com
> ~~~~ Javier Perez
> ~~~~ While the night runs
> ~~~~ toward the day...
> m m Pepebuho watches
> from his high perch.

The end result is: NO it's not.

I JUST did this.  Tried to take a MythTV FC6 Box to F9 and it was a failure
(well, partial failure at least).

First the upgrade path from FC6 -> F9 was junk, the "upgrade" simply didn't
work, graphics didn't work well, etc.

So I then reformatted and went through the process.  All went well till I
came to the NVidia drivers.  Seems, F9 is too new at this point, NVidia
simply would not load, not 192 nor the next version (beta, downloaded from
NVidia themselves).  The 192 build has known issues and has a patch, but the
patch didn't bring nvidia up, nor did the beta drivers that supposedly fix
the issue (and cause other issues).

This was an attempt as of last week Tuesday?  Monday?  Something like that
so it's about a week old info.

I have an NVidia 6200 in the box, and tried both Axel's driver as well as a
download from Nvida (both patched 192 + beta).

Now, I will admit something: I have 2 weeks to get basically my entire house
network re-installed and re-setup/upgraded and I really didn't have the time
nor the inclination to go screwing around with the Nvidia drivers.  I can
tell you that as of a week ago it didn't work "out of the box".  That may be
different now.

I AM NOT trying to get into distro wars at this point but for me, I switched
over to MythBuntu, had the system up within about 6 hours.  It's not perfect
by any means (see my post about MythBuntu + SB Live Sound) but it works and
works well at this point, and given that it's on a 3 year support and
installs by CD (it only includes like 20 programs, literally, and most of
those are configuration applications) within about 15 minutes it was
something I couldn't pass up...

YMMV, NVidia may be working by this point, or I may have just done something
wrong since I didn't do a whole lot of debug with it, but for me it did not
work out of the box and Nvidia has known issues with the currently
distributed production driver with F9.

--Douglas Wagner