[mythtv-users] Video+Audio over HDMI with nVidia [was: Re: fglrx, Radeon HD, DVI/HDMI out --> tearing]

Steven Ihde steve at x2.hamachi.us
Mon May 26 16:42:40 UTC 2008

On Sunday 25 May 2008 22:12, covert covert wrote:
> I am in the same boat. Finding a solution with Audio over HDMI with
> an Nvidia chipset is not easy. Some Nvidia cards had a spdif header
> on the gfx card to take the audio from the sound card.

Right, but note that even if you find the right nVidia card with a SPDIF
input, it still won't work because the Linux driver doesn't support
audio-over-HDMI yet.

I haven't tried it personally, but here's the forum post I mentioned
before:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1625546&postcount=33

If anyone else on the list has got video+audio over HDMI to work with an
nVidia card on Linux, please let us know!

> I am also
> looking into making my own cable up to splice audio into the hdmi
> cable. First I need to find a suitable nvidia card.

If you have success with this I would love to hear about it.  But
considering the astronomical prices they are charging for DVI + SPDIF
to HDMI converters ($250+) seems like there is something else going on
besides simply connecting the two SPDIF pins to two pins on the HDMI
cable.  Presumably the audio is interleaved with the video in the data
stream, or at a minimum the audio pins need to share a common clock
with the other pins.  In either case you probably can't do this with a
simple splice.

-Steve