[mythtv-users] fglrx, Radeon HD, DVI/HDMI out --> tearing

Steven Ihde steve at x2.hamachi.us
Mon May 26 04:01:34 UTC 2008

On Sunday 25 May 2008 15:25, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> Any 6000 or 7000 series card with 128 MB or more of memory will do
> fine for playing video, including HD.

Note my original goal (admittedly, not stated in the post) was twofold:

1. Digital video out -- on my TV at least (LCD Samsung), the color is
vastly superior when it comes in on the HDMI input, rather than the VGA
input; and

2. Audio on the same HDMI cable as the video -- this particular TV has
two HDMI ports, but they both share a single analog audio input, so in
order to avoid a major PITA each time I switch, one or the other HDMI
needs to include audio.  And my cable box is already using that analog
audio input.

I don't think the 6000 or 7000 series cards will meet these criteria.

And anyway, the nVidia Linux driver doesn't seem to support audio over
HDMI (but according to this post it will soon:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1625546&postcount=33

)

So I had some hope that if I could solve the video tearing problem with
fglrx, ALSA 1.0.16 would support the integrated audio in the Radeon HD
3650 and it would all work.

Alas, it sounds like I'll be better off just waiting for nVidia to
implement audio-over-HDMI support in the Linux driver and buying the
cheapest silent nVidia card that supports it.

Thanks,

Steve