[mythtv-users] Video card for two X servers

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Sun May 25 22:24:24 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm planning on upgrading my combined frontend/backend/desktop machine soon,
and I was just wondering what video card would be best for my situation.

I'm going to install Fedora 9, I'm using DVB-T in the UK, I'm planning on
getting a Q6600 (Quad 2.4GHz) processor so XVMC isn't really an issue. But
what I'd like to do is have a CRT connected via S-Video and my widescreen
TFT via DVI (or VGA if necessary).

I'd like to be able to run a reasonable desktop (I'm thinking of trying the
3D effects in KDE4, but I'm not sure I'll keep them on for very long) at the
same time as being able to watch MythTV on the CRT.

At the moment, I do something similar using Twinview, but I wonder if it
would be easier to just use 2 X servers. I'm thinking of getting a NVIDIA
8600GS, but I'm now wondering if an ATI would be better. A few years ago I
had an ATI 9800SE, but I gave up on it because I couldn't get rid of the
overscan on the CRT. Have ATI drivers improved since then?

Any ideas on what video card I should buy (preferably around the £50 mark)?

Thanks,

Jonny