[mythtv-users] Remote recommendations

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Fri May 23 21:55:33 UTC 2008

> I agree with all these guys! I have a OneforAll JP1, and it's
> fantastic. much better and easier to use than the way overpriced
> harmony remotes, imo.

This depends on what you consider "easy to use". Do the JP1 remotes have
step by step LCD displays with help functions tha will troubleshoot
whatever problem you have currently with your home theatre? No.

For me, the reason I went for the harmony is, like most guys, I was
tired of these conversations over the phone:

her: I can't figure out how to get the TV to come on, I pressed the 'On'
button but some things were already off and some were on and now it is
all messed up again
me: What input is the receiver on?
her: DVB
me: What input is the DV on?
her: DVI 1
me: Ok, change the TV to HDMI
her: I pressed the button, now it says DVI2
me: You have to press it again
her: Ok, now the picture shows but no sound
me: What sub input is the receiver on?

.... etc etc for 5 mins!

This is worth many times than the $60 I spend on the harmoney remote. As
soon as I told the wife" it has a help button so you never have to call
me again" she said she would pay any price for it.