[mythtv-users] Remotes (??Possibly JP1??)

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Fri May 23 17:45:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:03 AM, J <jsweepstakes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to find a remote that will control everything that I have.  (6
> devices) I've been trying to do research on JP1 remotes and I'm really not
> having any luck, does anybody know a good place that I can use as a resource
> to get a full working remote.  I would also need to find a remote that
> allows learning from other remotes (so I don't loose any buttons).
> -J
The learning feature was a priority for me, as I run an OS X frontend,
and needed to teach a remote 6 instances of the apple remote with
complete control/flexibility of button assignments.

I am completely happy with the harmony 550 in this capacity.  My
wife/kids can push one button that will put the frontend to sleep,
power down the TV, and power down the AV receiver.  That alone has
probably paid for the remote in terms of my electricity bill.  An
added benefit is that the remotes' configuration is saved by the
harmony website, so that the hours I spent learning/configuring the 36
functions are not wasted should the remote be disabled/destroyed by
one of my kids...

> I am sure the Harmony remotes will do everything you need and are
> probably very nice.  I guess I just stopped looking when I saw the price
> tag (I'm cheap).  I couldn't justify a remote to my wife that would cost
> over 1/3 of the cost of my mythtv box.  :)

Where do you get a mythtv box for $100?  I'll take 2!