[mythtv-users] Start with Mythbuntu or (K)Ubuntu for GP Workstation/Myth Front-end?

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Fri May 23 15:31:59 UTC 2008

I recently put together a new system for use as a general purpose
workstation (web, email, office documents, etc.), running XP in a VM
(VirtualBox), and also as a Myth front-end.  I started out running Fedora 8
on the system, but quickly upgraded to Fedora 9 when it came out.  Since the
upgrade I've run into a lot of issues (poor performance, limited nVidia
drivers, etc.).  I want to dual boot to another Linux distro just to try
things out for comparison purposes, but might stick to the new distro for a
while, depending on how long it takes for things to clear up on the Fedora
end.  My leading contender for an alternate distro is Ubuntu 8.04, or some
derivitate thereof.  Let's assume for the sake of argument here that I'll be
using this distro for the same things I described for the Fedora system and
that I'll be using this distro for a while.  My question is would I be
better off starting with Mythbuntu and then adding things on from there, or
starting with (K)Ubuntu and adding Myth on top of that?  Is is six of one or
half dozen of another?  I use KDE on basically all my desktops, and while I
run XFCE on my eeePC and like it, I have a feeling I'll be going to KDE at
some point on this new distro.