[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri May 23 01:48:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:15:03PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 08:02:33PM -0500, jedi wrote:
> >     SD digital is never going to get anywhere near your computer if you are
> > in the US. It's going to go through some sort of STB first. By the time it
> > gets to your computer it will be analog again.
>
> I take it you've forgotten about the OTA broadcast stations
> which send 8VSB ATSC in any standard format, including 480i and
> 480p?

    Yes, those are HD stations that can downgrade their signal because
of the inherent flexibility of the HDTV tranmission standards. That
means that you will be employing an HD tuner rather than an SD one.

    If the US were more like Europe then the digital cable signals
that have been in use for more than 10 years here would be tunable
with something not unlike a European DVB card.

[deletia]