[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Thu May 22 18:18:40 UTC 2008

Carl wrote:

I understand HD vs. SD and analog vs. digital.  I know HD is always digital
but SD can be either or.  I have not see any digital device marketing itself
as SD only, but I have seen digital devices marketing themselves as "HD."
And there is a section in the Myth documentation about HD cards and they are
treated seperately.  So at first glance to me, calling a digital capture
card "HD" is seeming like a marketing thing.  I am not here to tell anyone
how it is, I just don't know.  I'm trying to learn enough to know how to
formulate my question so it makes sense to people who do know.  So forgive
me if I don't make total sense.

OK, but as far as the end user is concerned, the signal that comes out is
MPEG? which can be stored directly?

CL

========

Carl, please turn off HTML/Rich Text formatting on your mail client.

"but I have seen digital devices marketing themselves as "HD.""

It can only be called a marketing ploy if you know of digital devices that
don't do HD, only SD.  You haven't been able to come up with a device yet
that meets this criteria so I think you are a bit pessimistic when you see
an digital tuner card and assume it's a marketing ploy to call it "HD".

So, because we haven't seen a digital capture device that can ONLY do SD, we
have to assume that ALL digital devices can do HD, and calling a digital
capture device HD is not a marketing "thing".  Does that answer your
question?

I have to say I'm a little curious as to why you're asking this question if
you don't even have a relevant piece of hardware you are investigating (SD
only digital capture device).

Brian