[mythtv-users] New Netflix set top box and MythTV - some musings

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed May 21 17:22:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand the DRM point but possibly the owners of the media
> themselves (not NetFlix but the studios) aren't so worried about
> copying of this stuff since it's not encoded with DVD level quality?
>
> I've had 1-to-1 conversations with NetFlix about supporting Watch Now
> for Linux. They won't do it for Open Source as there are far too many
> people on Open Source lists that flaunt using their stream for
> non-licensed reasons - essentially folks deciding they should be able
> to do anything they want with anything. Their response to me was that
> they loved Linux itself as a technology and hoped to support it/use it
> some day. I think Roku has given them a way to do that.

I think this argument is highly entertaining given that if you look
for an option to watch BluRay movies on Linux practically none exist,
while at least 4 come to mind that circumvent BluRay on Windows.  A
plethora of circumventing technologies is available for Windows while
only a handful (albeit very useful) are available for Linux.

> I've got one of these boxes on order. I figure with next year's switch
> to digital TV only if nothing else is true I can stick this box in the
> bedroom and use it instead of renting another cable box.
>
> - Mark

Similar to my thoughts that even if it sucks big time, it's $100 bucks
($109 after shipping) and I can always toss it in the kid's room and
easily control the content.

-Chad