[mythtv-users] Netflix's new Roku product.

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed May 21 14:45:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Reading the reviews, only 10 percent of the catalog is available for
> >> streaming and that does not include any current DVD releases. It only
> >> has 64MB of ram with no other temp storage so pure streaming. Their
> >> software will detect your bandwidth and you need better than 2Mb for
> >> 480p. Only 480p is supported right now. HD content is promised
> >> (there's that word again) for when Netflix moves to HD content and
> >> Roku provides the firmware update.
> >

> > It is nothing more than an alternative to using Windows PC + Internet
> > Explorer to browse the Watch Instantly content on Netflix.com.  The
> catalog
> > is what it is but now, instead of requiring Windows + IE, you get a $99
> box
> > to hook to your TV.  They release TV shows on Watch Now very quickly and
> > I've been watching Dexter S1 via the Netflix plugin on my Windows MCE
> box.
>
> One of my favorites!
>
> > For people that don't have that option, this little box is quite a boon.
>  It
> > isn't "Netflix in a box" by any means as the Watch Instantly feature is
> more
> > supplementary content to the DVD delivery service but then, this isn't a
> > $250 appliance like the AppleTV either so the entry point is perfect.
>
> The SJ Merc this morning in talking about the technology mentioned the
> rumor that LG will provide the same features on an upcoming Blu-Ray
> player before the end of the year.

If I hadn't just wired up my own personal desktop so I can view the TV out
upstairs as a kind of "Myth alternative" just for the purpose of watching
Netflix Watch Instantly content via the MCE plugin, I'd be all over this
little box.  The fact that Netflix recently hired the developer of the
plugin makes me think they are very serious about moving into this space.
We can only hope that they open a method for streaming from Linux much like
I can with Hulu to get my Battlestar Galactica fix.

Kevin