[mythtv-users] X.org CPU Usage @ 100% when showing guide redux

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue May 20 14:30:06 UTC 2008

So, I have posed this question before a few months back but didn't
really get any helpful responses so I will re-pose it.

I have a machine with the following specs:

    Athlon 64 X2 6400 Dual Code Windsor @ 3.2 Ghz
    2 GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce 8400 GS
    Video Source is DVB MPEG-2

The issue arrives when playing HDTV 720p / 1080i frames only. I use
Standard MPEG decode, and I use no deinterlacing for HDTV because it is
not required.

Now, I know this card does not support XVMC, and I am not using it.

However, it still should more that support decoding and playing back
HDTV frames. And it does - when viewing an HDTV channel, I am getting
only 25% utilization of one core for the decoding,
and X.org hovers around 5% for playback.

The issue is twofold:

    1) Every minute or two, Xorg CPU spikes to 95%-100% of one core for
around 10 seconds, then drops back down to 5%. I *do* have
"UseEvents=true" in my Driver section of xorg.conf already.

    2) Whenever I bring up the EPG, CPU spikes to 100%, for the whole
time the EPG is shown. This makes it pretty much impossible to use the
EPG while tuned to an HD channel.

Does anyone have *ANY* idea what could be causing this or what options I
could play with to try to solve it? It makes no sense to me that the EPG
should eat so much CPU when HD channels are open.