[mythtv-users] All sound out S/PDIF (was: Dolby Digital Signal indicator on Receiver)

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Mon May 19 22:50:56 UTC 2008

Dan Wilga wrote:
> At 11:14 PM -0700 5/17/08, Bob Sully wrote:
>>Right now, I still have to exit mythfrontend and run "iecset audio 0",
>
> When configuring MythTV, the audio setting will look something like this:
>
> ALSA:iec958 {AES0: 0x02}
>
> That "AES0" part is actually a bitmap of settings. One of the bits is
> the equivalent of "iecset audio 0". If you can figure out the right
> value and put it here, MythTV will automatically do the equivalent of
> "iecset audio 0" for you.
>
> To figure out what it is for you, do this:
>
> iecset audio 1
> iecset -x   (look at what it says)
> iecset audio 0
> iecset -x   (compare with the previous value)
>
> If you see that the second value for AES0 is something other than
> 0x02, you should probably use that value in Myth's settings.
>
> By the way, you shouldn't have to quit MFE just to run "iecset". All
> you should have to do is make sure it's not actively playing anything.
> --
> Dan Wilga                                                        "Ook."

Dan:
Thanks very much.  Here's what the BE/FE box gives me (via SSH from my
office machine):

[root at vader: ~]$ iecset audio 1
Mode: consumer
Data: audio
Rate: 48000 Hz
Copyright: permitted
Emphasis: none
Category: PCM coder
Original: original
Clock: 1000 ppm

[root at vader: ~]$ iecset -x
AES0=0x04,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x02

[root at vader: ~]$ iecset audio 0
Mode: consumer
Data: non-audio
Rate: 48000 Hz
Copyright: permitted
Emphasis: none
Category: PCM coder
Original: original
Clock: 1000 ppm

[root at vader: ~]$ iecset -x
AES0=0x06,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x02

0x06 is not one of the offered "options", but I'll try using it when I get
home and will let you know how it works.

Thanks again - Bob