[mythtv-users] Two commercial flagging errors on BSG last Friday

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 16:03:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> Overall commercial flagging works quite well - I believe that I have
> my commercial flagging set for strict, using all detection methods.
> So I was pretty surprised when it made two mistakes last Friday on
> Battlestar Galatica.  Not a huge deal, and didn't seem to bother the
> wife too much, but it for sure convinced me that I don't want to
> auto-transcode to remove commercials like I was considering.  There
> were actually two different types of errors:
>
> a) Right in the middle of the show, it properly skipped a commercial,
> plus an extra period of time after the commercial ended.  I jumped
> back and noticed there was definitely a "TV14" logo on the screen at
> the point where commflag should have detected the end of the
> commercial, but apparently didn't.
>
> b) Right before the show ended, it "detected" a commercial when there
> wasn't one (I have the commercial notification pop-up turned on).
> There was definitely a major transition in the scene, but it wasn't
> time to go to commercial.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1. Has there been any interest on the part of the developers (or
> anyone else) to improve commflagging?  If so, I'd be willing to get
> this recording to someone somehow.
> 2. Is it better to use only certain detection methods rather than all
> of them?  Are there ones that are better to avoid?

Auto-transcode does not remove commercials, you need to edit the recording
and create a cut-list first.   You can get a head-start on the cut-list by

Commercial flagging works 95% of the time (in the US anyway), but I don't
think it could ever be 100%.  You should always manually check it before
making any permanent changes.