[mythtv-users] Myth broken and Ubuntu Nvidia Driver hell

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Mon May 19 11:03:25 UTC 2008

Well, to say that the 5200 card is supposed to be one of the best
supported in Linux (as I understood when I got one), there are a LOT of
people having problems with them since upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04.

I'm one of them, and I've had no display about 800x600 since I did the
damn upgrade. Finally reached despair now. Even considering moving
everything over to a Windows based system because I just don't have the
free time for these kind of problems.

Anyway, on to the reason for me posting here.

One of the most successful 'fixes' for this driver problem has been to
install the 173.08 nvidia driver. Unfortunately, on my system, when I do
that, I still get glorious 800x600, but now, when I try to run
Mythfrontend I get a message informing me that the OpenGL only works
with CPU's that have SSE.

I have no idea what SSE is, but just assume that my computer processor
is too old to have it.

I also have no idea why Mythfrontend is needing OpenGL, as I always use QT.

The worse thing is that this seems to have broken my Backend too! None
of my frontends can connect to it any more, and I see this OpenGL/SSE
error message flick past my eyes directly after mythbackend tries to
load on bootup.

The best conclusion I can draw from this is that I need to upgrade my
chip (which also means new motherbloard and fan as the board is already
maxed out).

I currently have a 1.2 gig athlon in an Abit Kt7 motherboard. Can anyone
suggest an economical replacement?

Cheers
Damian