[mythtv-users] i386 vs x86_64 Fedora

dcw dwoody1 at charter.net
Sat May 17 14:25:23 UTC 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 11:12 pm, Blammo wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Miroslav Suchý <miroslav at suchy.cz> wrote:
> > dcw napsal(a):
> >> I am in the process of getting the components for a new computer for
> >> Mythtv. On a x86_64 computer is there an significant advantage of using
> >> a x86_64 version of Fedora over a i386 version of Fedora?
> >
> > Memory:
> > i386 - can use up to 3.5GB (more with some tricks which limit speed)
> > x86_64 - can use "unlimited" memory
> > *** Probably not affect on MythTV deployment
>
> Well written overall, one small correction:
>
> At various jobs, I've had many Opteron based servers running
> RHEL4/5-i386 with more than 4 gigs of RAM, and have had all of it
> usable by the operatiing system. The windows operating system is the
> only one _REALLY_ borked when it comes to handling more than 4gigs of
> ram.
>
> Regarding mythtv specific, I've seen an almost 100% increase in speed,
> same hardware, moving from i386 to x86_64 for commercial flagging, and
> at least 25% speed increase during transcoding. That alone makes it
> worth it, if you have the hardware already..

Thanks to all for the input.

The computer that I am using is a x86_64. I started out with Fedora i386 and
was having lockup problems, which is what prompted the original email. Since
then I have selected the real time threads with rlimits. That has been over a
week ago with no more lock ups.

However, the additional speed would be nice to have. I always have two
partitions that I can use for root, so I can alternate between them when I
switch OS versions, I will finish tweaking the current setup and then install
the x86_64 on the spare partition. This way I can always go back to the i386
if need be.

David