[mythtv-users] Upgrading: Advice wanted

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sat May 17 04:19:15 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm thinking of doing some upgrades to my MythTV system in the near future.
I've currently got an Intel Celeron-D 3.06GHz on a Biostar PT880 Pro
motherboard with an nVidia GeForce FX5200 video card. This system is fast
enough for most purposes; however, I have three problems:

- the video is a bit uneven when playing back HD content (I've currently only
  got an SD TV, but I can record HD and get a cleaner picture that way on
  some channels).

- All my video capture devices produce glitches when the system is under load
  (transcoding, etc.), which I suspect may be a symptom of my motherboard's
  VIA chipset (but that's really just a guess).

- I've never been able to get my pcHDTV 3000 card working satisfactorily in
  this system; video glitches render the picture unviewable. Again, I suspect
  this is a motherboard interaction problem, but that's really just a guess.
  (I use an AverTV A180 for my HD recording.)

I plan to re-use my current system (after a swapping out the hard disks and
some other components) as a desktop computer, so it's not going to waste.

I've been looking over options at NewEgg, and I'm focusing on AMD motherboards
and CPUs. Several look appealing to me, such as:

Biostar NF520-A2 SE:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138109

Elitegroup ECS NFORCE6M-A(3.0):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135083

Biostar A770 A2+:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138106

Asus M3A:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131234

These all have SPDIF outputs, either on the back panel or as headers on the
motherboard. (I currently run an on-motherboard SPDIF header out through a
connector panel to my AV receiver.) I'm most interested to know if anybody's
had experience with these boards in Linux. I'm particularly concerned with
audio drivers, network drivers, and general chipset support. The first two
use nVidia chipsets (520D and 430, respectively), which people here seem to
favor for MythTV use. The second two boards use the AMD 770 / ATI SB600
chipset, though, and I've seen no posts here about those (I even checked the
archives). If you've got suggestions for other motherboards, hopefully under
$100, plase feel free to make them.

I'm also wondering about CPU speed. I'm thinking about getting a dual-core CPU
so that the system will be better able to handle multiple tasks (transcoding,
watching recorded shows, preparing a DVD, etc.). Based on my understanding of
AMD and Intel CPU speeds, I'm guessing that a dual-core AMD Athlon 64 in
the "5000+" range (about 2.6GHz) will be plenty fast -- even one of the cores
should handily outperform what I've got now.

So, any comments or suggestions on this? Thanks for any input.

--
Rod Smith