[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

Carl L. Gilbert clg-social at rigidsoftware.com
Fri May 16 15:17:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 10:36 -0400, Michael Lynch wrote:

> > Wow!  So how does this compare with the HVR-1600 from Hauppauge?
> >
> > I'm confused as I thought USB was not well supported in mythTV? You seem to
> > be running a brand new USB capture device thats working fine for you?  What
> > more would one need than this device (hardware-wise) to do PVR on his PC?
> >

> > CL
>
> I'm not sure about how it compares to the HVR-1600 since I don't own
> one, but after a bit of reading and some previous knowledge, I was
> able to get the stick running fine.  I posted the link to my setup in
> a previous reply, but I'll add it again just for fun...
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Lynchmv#Pinnacle_PCTV_HD_USB_Pro_Stick_notes
>
> I can record shows, watch live tv and do everything that MythTV does
> with regular tuners with this nifty little USB stick.  It is the 4th
> tuner in my system and I got it really just to see if it would work
> and to see what OTA HD channels I could pick up out in the sticks.
> The little antenna that came with it picks up ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX
> and a couple of the sub channels also.  Overall I'm happy with it
> considering I only dropped $45 on it.

Thats great.  I'm really astonished.  Its so inexpensive and USB.  Does
it do hardware MPEG encoding? or are you encoding in some other fashion?
The website seems to imply it will do MPEG4 encoding but says that is a
trial for versions less than "ultimate."  Makes me thing that is
software encoding.  I really don't mind software encoding if it makes
the hardware MUCH cheaper.

Thanks again,

CL