[mythtv-users] Another wiki idea, pricing tier examples

diane mittnik dianemittnik at gmail.com
Thu May 15 21:48:17 UTC 2008

The mailing list gets regular requests for hardware
suggestions/recommendations/approvals.  I think this would be
minimized if pricing tier examples were listed on the wiki.  While the
wiki has a lot of info on individual hardware choices, the only place
its all pulled together (from what I could find) is in the member rigs
area, and unless you click on every link, due to the lack of
description in the links themselves, you might see examples from a
quad xeon to a P-II 450 from one url to the next.

What would really help those list members and others contemplating
diving into mythtv who don't regularly assemble their own systems
(last systems I assembled were the original Athlons and Durons) would
be a "pricing tier example" as a guide.  Not set in stone, just a
guide that the visitor can print out and then modify at will.  For
example:

Tier I  - front end,  example system Intel, for $250/$350/$500/$750,
use these individual components (then list mb, cpu, amount of memory
required and generic memory cost, integrated video or video card
choice, case/power supply brand/size, onboard or separate ethernet -
10/100 or GigE, wired or wireless keyboard/mouse and/or remote, etc.,
with average (pricewatch, newegg, etc) street prices for individual
components. Shipping not included.

Tier I - front end, example system AMD, for $250/$350/$500/$750...

Tier II - backend, example system Intel, for $350/$500/$750, $1,000...

Tier II - backend, example system AMD, for $350/$500/$750, $1,000...

Tier III - combined front end/back end example system Intel, for
$350/$500/$750, $1,000...

Tier III - combined front end/back end example system AMD, for
$350/$500/$750, $1,000...

since we are getting closer and closer to the digital deadline...
without creating too many combos and more confusion, the same rig can
be described with two different video output/capture cards, those
capable of only 720p or those capable of 1080i/p.  Don't bother with
analog examples as this can be explained in the mailing list if
necessary since the only ones using analog very soon will be low
powered uhf stations and analog security camera capture/conversion,
two applications that will get fewer and fewer inquiries going
forward.  Or not.

Once the reference systems are posted, it shouldn't be too difficult
to update/upgrade the setups (while leaving the old examples
intact/archived) quarterly, to take advantage of falling prices and
more computing power.

Opinions?

D.