[mythtv-users] Disable LiveTV for recordings?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu May 15 19:22:14 UTC 2008

Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> Myth is meant to obey user-intervention, not prevent it.
>
> I think "meant to" is a bit strong. It currently obeys user
> intervention, because thats the way it was implemented. If there were
> a way to prevent the possibility of user intervention, I think that
> would be welcome in a lot of cases.
>
> Grant, if you want to try and add this feature and if you've compiled
> your mythtv from source, I spent a couple minutes looking at the
> source and I **THINK** that I **MIGHT** know how to do it.
>
> In the libs/libmythtv/tv_play.cpp file, you want to go to the function
> UpdateOSDAskAllowDialog. About 5 lines down, you will see where it
> defines the text for each of the options that show up in the dialog.
> Then a couple pages down from there, you will see:
>
>         options += record_watch;
>         options += let_record1;
>         options += ((*it).has_later) ? record_later1 : do_not_record1;
>
> Where each of those values corresponds to the text I pointed out. I
> believe if you comment out the third option, then the dialog will pop
> up with the options to watch as it records or return to the main menu,
> but no option to cancel the recording. There are also a few other
> cases of this option you need to comment out a little further down:
>
>             options += (all_have_later) ? record_laterm : do_not_recordm;
> and
>           options += (all_have_later) ? record_later1 : do_not_record1;
>
> I think those are for the cases where you have multiple things that
> want to record. No promises, but I think if you comment out those 3
> lines and recompile, it may get you what you want.

And if it DOES do what you want, test it, exhaustively, and then report
here, and stick it into a wiki page with a descriptive title: "How to
force Myth to over-ride LiveTV and record scheduled recordings"

Since this is a hard-wired solution, it's not a good candidate for a
setup switch. That would take a lot more coding....

Geoff