[mythtv-users] i386 vs x86_64 Fedora

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:31:56 UTC 2008

On 5/15/08, Mike Holden <mythtv at mikeholden.org> wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> > On May 14, 2008, at 8:08 PM, dcw wrote:
> >> I am in the process of getting the components for a new computer for
> >> Mythtv.
> >> On a x86_64 computer is there an significant advantage of using a
> >> x86_64
> >> version of Fedora over a i386 version of Fedora?
> > I would say not. I have two AMD 64 boxes. One runs i386 (my production
> > box) and one runs x86_64 (dev) and I actually prefer i386 because it's
> > easier to get stuff like Flash and StepMania running on i386. Myth
> > doesn't get any benefit from running x86_64 that I have ever noticed.
> What about for a more general-purpose box that will be doing myth plus
> some other stuff?

I run my mythbackend with x86_64 Fedora 8 - it's primary task is as a
mythbackend (with encoding to h.264 taking a fair bit of its time), but it
is also a general fileserver, zoneminder server, the occasional VM server.
It's been good for that.

I run my frontends on the 32 bit version of Fedora 8, because
graphical/flash type things are more important to me than a marginal
increase in speed.