[mythtv-users] i386 vs x86_64 Fedora

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Thu May 15 13:28:34 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On May 14, 2008, at 8:08 PM, dcw wrote:
>
>> I am in the process of getting the components for a new computer for
>> Mythtv.
>> On a x86_64 computer is there an significant advantage of using a
>> x86_64
>> version of Fedora over a i386 version of Fedora?
>
> I would say not. I have two AMD 64 boxes. One runs i386 (my production
> box) and one runs x86_64 (dev) and I actually prefer i386 because it's
> easier to get stuff like Flash and StepMania running on i386. Myth
> doesn't get any benefit from running x86_64 that I have ever noticed.

What about for a more general-purpose box that will be doing myth plus
some other stuff?

One obvious area would be addressable memory, which is limited to a little
over 2 gig by 32bit O/S.
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts