[mythtv-users] How Does Commercial Flagging Work?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu May 15 04:57:19 UTC 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 8:33 AM, Darryl Hirschler wrote:

> How did I know somebody would say "look at the source"?  If we ever
> want
> Linux to take off, we need to try to offer better explanations to
> people.
>
> Anyways, I believe the commercial flagging works by looking for a
> blank
> frame.  I think it also studies the station logo.

Maybe if you looked at the source you would find that it's not scary
and quite informative. Just looking at the mythcommflag directory
gives a good indication at what commercial flagging does:

[mythtv at mythtv mythcommflag]$ ls
BlankFrameDetector.cpp          CommDetectorFactory.cpp
PGMConverter.cpp
BlankFrameDetector.h            CommDetectorFactory.h    PGMConverter.h
BorderDetector.cpp              CommDetector.h           pgm.cpp
BorderDetector.h                CustomEventRelayer.h     pgm.h
CannyEdgeDetector.cpp           EdgeDetector.cpp         quickselect.c
CannyEdgeDetector.h             EdgeDetector.h           quickselect.h
ClassicCommDetector.cpp         FrameAnalyzer.cpp
SceneChangeDetectorBase.h
ClassicCommDetector.h           FrameAnalyzer.h
SceneChangeDetector.cpp
ClassicLogoDetector.cpp         HistogramAnalyzer.cpp
SceneChangeDetector.h
ClassicLogoDetector.h           HistogramAnalyzer.h      SlotRelayer.h
ClassicSceneChangeDetector.cpp  Histogram.cpp
TemplateFinder.cpp
ClassicSceneChangeDetector.h    Histogram.h
TemplateFinder.h
CommDetector2.cpp               LogoDetectorBase.h
TemplateMatcher.cpp
CommDetector2.h                 main.cpp
TemplateMatcher.h
CommDetectorBase.cpp            mythcommflag-analyze
CommDetectorBase.h              mythcommflag.pro

If more people looked at the source, Linux would "take off" faster....
which, by the way, I'm not worried about. The fact that people who are
afraid to look at the source are building MythTV systems is an
indication of that. :)

-Brad