[mythtv-users] Suddenly MythTV refuses to use both tuners

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed May 14 18:43:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Carl-Magnus Björkell
<carl-magnus.bjorkell at pp.inet.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm using MythTV on a openSUSE box, and upgrade to the newest mythtv
> packages (packaged by packman) fairly often. I have two DVB-C tuners,
> one which is equipped with a CI-reader for my Conax card to watch
> encrypted channels.
>
> Myth has been conffed to use the unencrypted card whenever possible when
> recording, so that the "better" card is free for live-tv if needed.
>
> A couple of weeks ago I started noticing that while one of the tuners
> where recording, I could not get a channel lock with the other tuner.
> Now I would think that this would be related to signal strength, were it
> not for one thing: All recordings have also started to be scheduled ONLY
> on the Conax-capable card. Both tuners work fine if the other is not
> active (I've tried changing inputs etc, and it works).
>
> AFAIK no configuration has been changed, and this setup has worked like
> a charm unchanged since the release of 0.21 (with the exception of a
> change from XML-tv parsed programdata to EIT scans.)
>
> Has anyone had any similar problems lately, and more importantly, does
> anyone have any idea about what could be causing this?
>
> As I said I've been using Packmans packages. The current version I have is:
> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
> Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
>

> Greets,
> -Calle

I had a very similar problem. It turned out that my second tuner was
constantly recording Live TV and therefore became unavailable at any
time to record programs. It seems an unfortunate default setting in
Myth is to not show Live TV recordings in the media library so we
didn't even notice this was happening until my wife asked why we had
no disk space when we only had a few hours of recordings.

You can look at your disk space usage or set the menu in the media
library to show Live TV.

Probably you don't have the same problem but it's easy to find if you do.

Take care,
Mark