[mythtv-users] Yes, it's overkill, but here is the list for my new machine in planning...

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Wed May 14 07:16:37 UTC 2008

Chris Ribe wrote:

>> As much as I'd like to get a TB drive, most of the budget has been used
>> with the chip and motherboard.
>>

> Which, frankly, is silly. You've got way more processor than you need and
> not nearly enough storage.  I'd consider an E2220 or E4600 and spending your
> savings on disk.
>

> If those processors are known to not be powerful enough for Blu-ray, forget
> I said anything :)

Thanks for the feedback!

AFAIK, those chips do not have the grunt needed since there isn't any
hardware assisted acceleration for H.264 under linux at this time.

Granted, I'll not be using blu-ray any time soon, but I'm trying to
future proof this as much as possible.

As for the storage space, right now we have more than we can watch, and
I will have the 500 gig drive that is in the current system (PATA vs
SATA), so if needed, I can add in a cheap PATA controller card, or put
it in the house server and use it over the network via storage groups.