[mythtv-users] Vizio LCD native resolution problem over DVI->HDMI

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Wed May 14 02:45:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Byron Poland <wpoland at gmail.com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
>
>>  My Vizio only takes tv resolutions (like 720p) from the hdmi port.  If
>>  you use the nvidia 720p mode it will work... however I experienced
>>  major overscan with that.  I ended up going back to the native
>>  resolution with the vga cable, and I'm much happier with that.
>
> If that is indeed the case then I'll likely have a nice DVI-HDMI cable
> I purchased from monoprice.com for sale shortly...
>
> Richard

I'm pretty sure all HDTVs are this way. HDMI will give you overscan
and VGA won't. It's nothing to ditch HDMI for though, just adjust the
mythtv GUI size and positioning until it fits properly on your set. It
will take some time, but I'm pretty sure that's what it's there for.

Personally I think HDMI looks crisper than VGA, but to each their own.