[mythtv-users] increasing load

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Tue May 13 19:12:34 UTC 2008

Udo,

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl>
wrote:
> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>  Any ideas why the load could be rising?
>  Or how I could debug this?

On the subject of rising memory consumption, if you are using a tmpfs
mount on /tmp, that might explain part of it.

On the increasing load: can I suggest that you take regular snapshots of
files that contain statistical info (e.g. /proc/interrupts,
/proc/meminfo) and see if that turns up any useful leads.

Another thing: if you are using CPU frequency scaling (as I am) then the
CPU load can vary in strange ways. For example, if you're using the
ondemand governor and are not allowing niced processes to crank the CPU
up to full speed, then these processes will consume a higher percentage
of CPU time than when they run in the presence of a non-niced process
(even if the latter itself consumes very little CPU).

This would not explain a steady increase in CPU load, but might confuse
you enough into believing that it does.

Clasping at straws here, but hope it helps.

Cheers, Jan