[mythtv-users] Channel confusion - 'Record on this channel' fails

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 13 14:18:23 UTC 2008

On 05/13/2008 10:07 AM, Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>
>> I have 2 different PBS stations available.  One is about 40 miles away
>>  and one is local.  The remote one is at 7_1 and the local is at 28_1.
>>
>>  The problem is that if I select 'Record on this channel', myth *always*
>>  picks the first one, which, being far away, is subject to dropout.  Even
>>  if I select the program on 28_1 and tell myth to 'Record on this channel
>>  only' it will record on 7_1 and show the show on 28_1 as 'This showing
>>  will be recorded at an earlier time'.
>>
>>  The result is that many of  the PBS shows are unwatchable because of the
>>  dropout.  I keep 7_* in the lineup because a) recordings work at night
>>  and b) some shows come on one station and not the other.
>>
>>  In my view, this is a bug but perhaps it's a feature to some...  Any
>>  ideas on how to work around it?
>>

> Odd - I don't seem to have that problem here.  Do the channels have
> the same XMLTV ID?

No.  They have the same callsign.  It's not a bug, it's the way it's
designed to work.

OP, if you want to treat them as different channels, change the callsign
of one of them using mythtv-setup's channel editor--i.e. "PBS (good)" or
soemthing, then set the rule to record from only the good channel or
create a rule to record at high priority from the good channel and
create another rule to record at low priority from the bad channel.

Mike