[mythtv-users] Trouble with monit

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Tue May 13 08:17:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 05:53:33PM +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:
> I'd throw away monit and use runit, which does real service supervision
> by connecting to the daemons controlling terminal, and is very clean
> and stable. I started to use it just for mythbackend, and now use it as
> the init system on all of my private computers.

While I see the advantage of a init replacement that does real process
management on all levels (not just what is defined in inittab) I feel
its a little lacking.

One of the key features I use in Monit is the service checks, poking
ports or checking memory usage. A process that hits a infinite loop and
ignores all incoming queries would be still detected as running by
runit, but monit would detect it as down and kick it as needed.

A monit/runit crossbreed would be the master of all solutions :)

--
Andrew Williams
w: http://tensixtyone.com/
e: andy at tensixtyone.com