[mythtv-users] URGENT HELP!!! Where does mythtv-setup put the backup after a schema update? SOLVED?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 12 21:43:20 UTC 2008

On 05/12/2008 04:41 PM, Michael Jones wrote:
> Thanks for all the help.. I took the advice to go back to last week's
> backup.

Good.  Though you probably wouldn't have noticed problems for a while if
you tried making the upgraded database work, you almost definitely would
have after upgrading to the next version of MythTV (which would have
been far enough in the future that you wouldn't have the option of going
back to a good pre-upgrade backup).

>   I also (thanks Marc for the backup script) am backing up the
> database daily to cycle weekly.

The backup/restore scripts that I linked to at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/333729#333729 would
handle automatically rotating the backups for you.  And, it would
/really/ be nice to have a lot of users testing them before 0.22 goes
final (when they will be part of everyone's installation).

They work on all versions of MythTV.  They've had a /lot/ of testing.  I
stand by them.  I use them on all my production systems.  I just need a
lot /of different people/ to start testing them.

And, though the scripts are long, they're easy to use.  The "Quick
Start" section at the end of the --help output:
-----
QUICK START:

Create a file ~/.mythtv/backuprc with a single line,
"DBBackupDirectory=/home/mythtv" (no quotes), and run this script to
create a
database backup. Use the --verbose argument to see what's happening.

# echo "DBBackupDirectory=/home/mythtv" > ~/.mythtv/backuprc
# /usr/local/bin/database_mythconverg_backup.pl --verbose

Make sure you keep the backuprc file for next time.  Once you've
successfully
created a backup, the script may be run without the --verbose argument.
-----

And, if you want to keep backups for a week, just:

# echo "rotate=7" >> ~/.mythtv/backuprc

after running the echo above.

Thanks,
Mike