[mythtv-users] Vizio LCD native resolution problem over DVI->HDMI

Carl Fongheiser carlfongheiser at gmail.com
Mon May 12 20:40:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm currently using a VGA cable from a KVM to get 1360x768 at 60. The
> native resolution is 1366x768 but apparently Nvidia card need the
> resolution to be divisible by 8. I'm trying to get the DVI->HDMI cable
> working but I've run into a couple of issues.

It is absolutely not true that the Nvidia card requires a resolution
divisible by 8.  I'm using one with my Vizio VX32L, and it's working fine at
1366x768 over VGA with the following in my xorg.conf file:

    Option "ModeValidation" "NoWidthAlignmentCheck"

> I can get X/Nvidia to validate a mode for "1360x760_60" but the TV
> says there is no signal. If I change it to "1280x720_60" then it works
> fine. It seems strange that the driver thinks it's fine but the TV
> will not display a resolution that works fine over VGA. The only
> ValidationMode option I'm using is the "NoNativeWidthCheck" or
> something like that.

A *lot* of TV's are like that.  They expect TV resolutions on their HDMI
ports.

> I'd really like to take the crappy VGA cable out of the equation. Any
> Ideas?

I'm not sure why you think VGA is crappy.  It looks very nice on my TV.

I've never tried HDMI from the computer on mine, since the video card I'm
using lacks a DVI output.

Carl Fongheiser