[mythtv-users] Remotes

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon May 12 15:19:55 UTC 2008

> I have had this problem as well, and it is NOT a lircd.conf / lircrc problem.

..but lircd.conf is part of the solution.

> I know this because I had 2 cards in my box, the above Nova T card and a
> PVR350. Using the IR receiver in the 350 worked fine, but plugging it
> instead into the 500 the remote works as described above - 0-9, *, # and
> up, down, left, right send codes, but nothing else does.

the Hauppauge DVB cards put their ir events into a device input buffer

/dev/input/eventx

where they are interpreted as keystrokes.  However only a few of them
coincide with valid keycodes, which is why only the numbers generally
work.

> The weird thing is that irw doesn't see anything, but a simple terminal
> screen displays the codes. For this reason, it's easy to believe that irw
> is seeing the codes, but if you change focus to another terminal window
> and press the remote again, the keys appear there instead - it's as if the
> remote is working like a regular keyboard rather than an IR remote.

..so the above isn't really wierd.

The solution is to run

irrecord -H /dev/input/eventx

to create your lircd.conf file

and then lircd -d /dev/input/eventx

to handle ir events.

I've simplified a bit and you'll need to work out which event your ir
device is on, but if you read the documentation now it should make
sense.

Good Luck