[mythtv-users] myth and unicode..

Damian O'Sullivan shabba at skynet.ie
Mon May 12 07:29:36 UTC 2008

> In the General settings tab for MythVideo, there is a '[view type] browses
> files' checkbox. When checked, what you see comes from the file system (so
> is always "correct" in that there is some file there). If you have 'Video
> List Loads Video Meta Data' the file system name is used to search that
> metadata list. If you don't have '[blah] browses files' then what you see is
> generated entirely from the metadata in the DB.

Ok gotcha..

> I don't use MythWeb (for videos), if you mean import = Video Manager in the
> frontend, I have no explanation. If you mean something in MythWeb, well once
> clear, we can start fixing the bug.

I use sync.pl which I think I got from mythtools. I always believed it was
the same as doing an import. I will try the manual way later. I do not use
mythweb. I was just checking to see if the behaviour was the same and was
suprised when it displayed the plot etc fine.

> What you see is the result of taking the utf8 representation, treating it as
> if it were latin1, and then converting it to utf8. There should be no way to
> do this using MythVideo (where MythVideo is limited to the plugin only,
> libmythvideo.so).
>
> If you want to see for yourself:
>
> $ echo 44C3A96AC3A0205675 | xxd -r -p | iconv -f latin1 -t utf8 | xxd

yields:

> 44c3 83c2 a96a c383 c2a0 2056 75
>
> The interesting bit is how you accomplished this and where to start fixing
> things. I do not see how it can be done using only libmythvideo.so.

Ok steps I used were pretty much make sure I encoded the file name as
UTF8. When an ls on the dir (over samba) showed the filename correctly I
moved to myth. I then import the files. I then run a script that checks
for the new files and tries to get plot etc from tv.com. I have tried
various methods of decode("utf8",$filename) etc in perl and managed to get
it into the DB in what looks good from a select sql statement but cannot
get to appear in mythvideo.

Thanks,

D.