[mythtv-users] Semi OT: Directv questions

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Mon May 12 03:02:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:

> No, it's not enough just to swap cards. DirecTV "weds" the card to the
> receiver at the time of activation. If you get a new HD tuner, chances are
> DirecTV will insist you buy a new card for it. There are mythical tales of
> people getting cards transferred from one receiver to another, but the last I
> checked, such stories were quite rare.

Thanks, Rod.

On the positive side, that would seem to imply that ny landlord's HD
boxes all have cards already. And seeing as how both cards and boxes
are available afermarket, that I could activate his card and box
together, keep my activated D12 unhooked until I get a second line,
and then either plug my old, already activated box into the line or
get a new unit to run on the second line.

I've been very impressed with Direct so far and am not eager to learn
that they are Just Like Everyone Else(TM).

Thanks for the info.