[mythtv-users] Yet another 'Could not connect to master backend server' post [SOLVED]

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Fri May 9 21:36:47 UTC 2008

Bryan Bennetts wrote:
> On Thursday 08 May 2008 13:16, Bryan Bennetts wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm trying to divine whats gone awry with my setup w.r.t. the above
>> warning.
>>
>> My setup :
>>
>> 1 BE+FE machine, using mythwelcome.
>> 1 Remote Frontend
>>
>> Both are running .21-fixes on Gentoo.
>>
>> I have the Local server IP set to 192.168.0.102 (the BE+FE IP address) and
>> likewise for the backend server IP.  When I boot my BE+FE machine (so that
>> mythwelcome automagically starts the frontend) I get a warning dialogue
>> stating 'Could not connect to the master back server -- is it running yada
>> yada yada'.  If I hit okay the frontend then starts and everything is fine,
>> if I don't hit okay the backend shuts the machine down as (presumably) no
>> clients have attached.  Obviously this isn't ideal as it means waiting for
>> the machine to boot and hitting the okay button within a set time frame.
>> With this setup I can connect to the backend using the stand alone frontend
>> machine with no warnings.
>>
>> Does anyone have a setup similar to this, can they confirm that these are
>> the correct settings?  If I set the IP addresses to 127.0.0.1 then
>> everything is fine on the BE+FE machine, but unsurprisingly I cannot
>> connect using the stand alone FE machine.
>>
>> The setup has worked in the past, I'm not sure if I broke it tinkering with
>> the settings, or whether it happened after updating the software.  I'm
>> guessing the former.
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Bryan.
>
> Turns out to be a timing issue, mythwelcome is coming up before the backend is
> ready.  Sticking a 'sleep 2' before mythwelcome is invoked 'solved' the
> issue.
>
> I guess it'd be nice if mythContext continued checking for the backend whilst
> displaying the warning dialogue so if one becomes available it could take the
> dialogue down and continue merrily on its way...
>
> Thanks, Bryan.

Ah yes, I have exactly this same problem with mythwelcome starting
before the backend (or possibly mysql, I haven't checked) on my combined
BE/FE machine. I have stuck a sleep command in too, but I have had to
increase the delay it when I increased the number of tuners, as I guess
things took longer to start up. Even then, if I boot the machine while
there is a DVD in the drive, this seems to affect the timing such that
mythbackend takes even longer to start.

The whole thing seems a little messy and fragile (and the "sleep 8" I
currently have makes the user experience of startup speed annoying). As
you say, it would be good if mythwelcome could retry automatically.

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T