[mythtv-users] HD Card Suggestions

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Fri May 9 19:09:59 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> I strongly recommend that A180 for an internal PCI HD tuner.  It
>> works out of the box with the DVB drivers and was simple to set up
>> and (as I have found) has no issues with multple cards or coexisting
>> with SD tuners.  It was a simple and straightforward upgrade to add
>> a single A180 tuner to my system with no other changes.  The biggest
>> challenge is making sure your frontend can handle decoding the HD
>> (P4 3.2Ghz+) or using an XvMC capable video card (Nvidia FX5200 AGP)
>> to offload the processing.

For PCIE-1X data points, the Hauppauge HVR-1800 and HVR-1250 are playing
very nicely together in my ATSC HD BE/FE.  They're "plug in & just work"
devices (under ubuntu 8.04, anyway).

The 1250 has a funny dmesg message, probably a result of being "too new":
[   40.593065] tveeprom 3-0050: Encountered bad packet header [ff]. Corrupt
or not a Hauppauge eeprom.

Regardless, it works just fine.  :)