[mythtv-users] OT: ATSC/QAM Encode to distribute HD over longer runs.

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Fri May 9 17:55:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 12:44:39PM -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
> Dan Ritter wrote:
> Considering that box appears to take VGA in, it should be cheaper to produce a
> USB or PCI slot device that does the same thing and takes an ATSC mpeg stream
> that is already decoded to encode.    I would bet that the encoder is a large
> portion of the price as that either requires a fast general purpose cpu, or
> special purpose low-volume custom silicon.
>
> Has anyone ever figured out if it is against FCC regulations to make one of
> these devices?    I know I talked to the PCHDTV card designer, and he though it
> was against the FCC rules, if it was not against the rules it should not be that
> hard to make one, since once you have the proper MPEG stream built, the RF part
> should be pretty easy and cheap.

The FCC has regulations against interference, and unlicensed
transmission. If you push it into a cable system that you own, I
can't see any particular problem. Certainly the NTSC equivalent
is easy to come by: many apartment buildings have security-cam
channels, and similar installations are often done in high-end
home-theatres.

-dsr-

When freedom gets lots of exercise, it protects itself.