[mythtv-users] 0.21: Issue with freezing LiveTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 9 16:14:11 UTC 2008

On 05/09/2008 08:47 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Tino Keitel <tino.keitel at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> I can understand that it is hard to handle bugs when many different
>> issues are mistaken for a specific bug and the trac ticket is flooded
>> with irrelevant information.
>>
>> However, When so many users report "LiveTV freezes", then IMHO that's
>> just an indication that there is a somewhat important problem that
>> might be handled by trying to
>>
>> - make LiveTV playback more reliable by design
>>
>> - or at least give the user a better indication what caused the freeze
>>
>> - or at least care about known bugs that are present for years in
>>  trac[1]
>>
>> At least the second item could be achieved by extending the frontend
>> log messages at the places that seem to be relevant for the freeze
>> according to the logfiles. This way, better information can be
>> collected in the future.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tino
>>
>> [1] Bug #2335 still happens for me with the current 0.21-fixes, but the
>>    bug seems to be closed forever as I can not reopen it. What does
>>    this mean to me? May I open a new ticket for the same issue? Or am
>>    I forbidden to open a new ticket as the developers don't want to
>>    track this "boring" issue further and therefore closed this bug
>>    forever?
> I had the issue in bug 2335 under 0.20.x, and it happened quite a lot.
>  I was one of those who used the work around of changing the
> SwitchLiveTVRingBuffer() call.  Actually I haven't had that issue
> since upgrading to 0.21 at all.
>
> Looking at the bug it's obvious that they do in fact believe it's
> fixed and didn't just close it for the hell of it.

In other words, for "generic symptom" tickets, several bugs are often
presumed by users to be the same.  Therefore, when the ticket gets
closed, users who still experience the symptom get upset, so they reopen
the ticket (often getting in a reopen/close/reopen/close & lock type war
with the devs).  Or, users think that the devs closed it out of spite or...

I still think that if you all want to help you should be posting
messages to the list and finding all the people experiencing the symptom
and trying to extract enough information from people to identify the
actual bug(s) that causes the issue (which means someone among the group
would actually need to dig into the code)--exactly as I had mentioned,
earlier.  The person most likely to fix issues with LiveTV is someone
who actually uses LiveTV.

Mike